The salt tour is an experience of an off-road thrill as you travel through the largest salt desert in the world. In this salt tour, you will enjoy a picnic in the middle of the salt flats and you will visit the train cemetery with amazing 19th & 20th-century steam locomotives.
Also, you will have the opportunity to take a hike through Incahuasi Island and see its beautiful giant cacti.
We highly recommend you spend a night in a hotel made of salt as in Bolivia Mirror Lake Travel Package
- In pictures: The world’s largest salt flat in Bolivia (BBC News)
- How to see Salar de Uyuni Salt Flats (National Geographic)
UYUNI SALT TOUR
Take the flight La Paz to Uyuni (booked on your own). Upon arrival at the Uyuni airport, transfer to the amazing Uyuni Salt Flats, the world’s largest salt desert with an expanse of more than 12,000 square km (7,455 sq. mi).
On your way, visit the cemetery of trains. Here you can take playful and even artistic pictures on board the remains of 19th and 20th century steam locomotives. Next, visit the town of Colchani (20 min. from Uyuni) to learn the artisanal salt extraction process from local artisans, and maybe even purchase Uyuni salt. Along the way, see piles of extracted salt, and the “ojos del salar” or mineralized water springs bursting out of the salt flats.
The next stop is Incahuasi Island located amidst the Uyuni salt flats. It is an oasis with a unique and isolated ecosystem where giant cacti thrive (up to 10m. or 32ft. high). Afterwards, enjoy a unique picnic experience, as lunch will be served in the middle of the salt flats. This is the perfect time to play with proportion and perspective in your photographs.
After lunch, you will travel to the Tunupa Volcano to explore its Pre-Columbian ruins and mummies and then to the Chantani Museum. Afterwards, witness an amazing sunset and transfer back to the airport to take your flight Uyuni – La Paz (booked on your own).
Meals included: L
Price per person
|2 People||US$ 189|
|3 People||US$ 199|
|4 People||US$ 159|
|5 People||US$ 129|
|6 People||US$ 145|
|7 People||US$ 129|
|8 People||US$ 115|
The Uyuni Salt Tour Full Day is customizable. If you prefer to add extra days or destinations to your trip, please let us know in the Notes section of the Get Free Quote form. You can also fill out our Present Design Your Trip form or Contact Us form with your specific needs.
- This Uyuni Salt Tour Full Day is available every day of the year.
- FUN FACT: we recommend our clients to bring their national flag in order to place it in the flag garden together with the other flags from all over the world!
- During the rainy season, Incahuasi Island, Tunupa Volcano, and the Chiquini Caves may not most likely be visited during rainy season (mid-December to mid-April, subject to climatologic changes).
- We highly recommend you spend a night in a hotel made of salt as in Bolivia Mirror Lake Travel Package
- You can go to Uyuni taking a flight or a bus from La Paz. Let us know if you want to include it in your itinerary.
- Private transportation 4×4
- Guided tour in English in private service
- All entrance tickets.
- All tour transfers.
- Picnic lunch on the Uyuni Salt Flats.
- International and domestic flights.
- Visas required to enter Bolivia.
- Airport taxes for international and domestic flights.
- Hotel accommodations.
- Airport transfers in La Paz.
- Travel insurance.